Thursday, June 2, 2011

People Change....But Not That Much


I was going through a box that has been under my bed for the past who-knows-how-long. It is one of those boxes that you tend to never think about because you really don't like it: it's full of stuff I did as a kid, and other things that if I said on here it would ruin my reputation (I was a kid, kids like very un-cool stuff. Girl kids, that is. ) It was drawings and paintings, mostly. The drawings were hideous and and the paintings were even worse. More than once I found myself muttering "yuck." It was basically horses (I really just like them because that was what everyone liked.) ponies (If I said what kind I would embarrass myself.) dinosaurs (I wasn't completely boring as a kid.) some cat stuff (I won't deny that I loved cats. I still love cats.) and drawings of women that at the time I thought were pretty good.

In the midst of all of this depressing and humiliating stuff, there came a lovely ray of joy. It was a piece of paper just like the all the others, and on it, there was a ballerina, a "beautiful" blonde ballerina in a pink and purple tutu (*cringe*). She wasn't that bad, actually, mostly just her head. I looked at the paper a bit more closely and noticed something else that made me smile and laugh. Two people in a rather well done little tank with a big gun. I just sat there thinking to myself, yes! this is so me: a graceful ballerina on the same page as an army tank.

It made me very happy, somehow, to know that when I was a little kid, I was a little bit like I am now.

Jay

No comments: